Children's Choir Director
—with Chicago Lights—
To apply: Submit your cover letter and resume to email@example.com;
phone calls, please.
The Children’s Choir Director will have the unique opportunity to build, develop, and grow a new children’s choir from the foundation with Chicago Lights at Fourth Presbyterian Church. The Choir Director, in partnership with the Choir Committee, will develop the vision and execute the creation of this choir including: selecting the participants; organizing and conducting all music; providing administrative support for rehearsals and performances; and cultivating relationships with choir members, families, staff, and supporters.
Chicago Lights provides hope and opportunity to our city’s children, youth, and adults who face the challenges of poverty. Through supportive relationships and diverse programs, we empower people to thrive academically, secure economic stability, lead healthy lives, and build community.
- Coordinate weekly to twice per week Children’s Choir rehearsals and organize public performances
- Recruit and select members for the choir in partnership with staff of the Chicago Lights Tutoring Program
- Communicate with parents and students regarding rehearsals, performance schedules, student attendance, and student behavior
- Select music and handle all administrative tasks, such as arranging for student transportation to and from rehearsals and performances, relating to the children’s choir
- Prepare programs, tickets, contracts, room reservations, set-up requests, volunteer needs, and anything else related to performances
- Attend all rehearsals and concerts
- Serve as a positive role model for students at all times, and engage as a caring and supportive member of the Tutoring team to ensure that all students and parents are provided with the best service possible
- Collaborate with the Choir Committee and Chicago Lights Tutoring Program to execute the vision of this choir
- Adhere to the Tutoring and Summer Day Programs’ employee policies
- Use the S.P.I.R.I.T. principles of hospitality when interacting with visitors, guests, members, and staff of Fourth Presbyterian Church and Chicago Lights
- Attend staff meetings as required
- Other duties as assigned
- Strong knowledge and background in choral music
- Experience selecting repertoire and conducting choirs with student ages from elementary school through high school
- Organizational skills with the ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability and commitment to work with children from diverse backgrounds in a fast paced, dynamic, multicultural environment
- Excellent classroom management skills
- Experience in trauma informed care preferred, but not required
- Familiarity with and passion for Chicago Lights’ mission
- Initially the position will be 10–15 hours per week during the months of August through May, occurring on one to two weekday evenings and one weekend day per week. The schedule requirements may change as the choir is developed.
- Flexibility is key as program requirements will be developed with the employee’s input.
This is a part-time position, compensation to be commensurate with experience.
This seasonal position does not include other benefits.
To apply, submit your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.