—with Chicago Lights Dance Academy—
To apply: Submit your cover letter and resume to email@example.com;
phone calls, please.
The Program Assistant (PA) ensures the running of efficient day-to-day programs, along with supporting the work of management and teaching artists, including reading, writing, and translating forms into Spanish to serve student populations. From behind the scenes, the PA will also be involved in assisting with the execution of events and performances. The Program Assistant will work closely with the Chicago Lights Dance Academy Director, school leaders, parents, and students.
The Chicago Lights Dance Academy supports learning and self-expression through dance instruction for students who attend Chicago Public Schools (CPS). The Chicago Lights Dance Academy offers three core programs: in-school instruction and dance ensembles, Saturday classes, and a month-long Summer Dance Intensive. Through these programs students learn various dances styles and corresponding technique, vocabulary, music, costuming, and choreography.
- Basic tasks, such as taking attendance, making room reservations and set-up requests, responding to calls and emails, etc.
- Order food for meetings, events, and programming
- Generate memos, emails, and reports, Data entry and filing
- Accept enrollment forms and fees while maintaining records of student enrollment
- Maintain attendance for on-site programming
- Assist and coordinate with teaching artists
- Translate forms from English to Spanish, provide verbal interpretation for Spanish speakers
Events and Performances
- Assist the Program Coordinator with the execution of performances, professional development for teaching artists, and help hosting occasional overnight lock-ins for students
- Assist with Dance Academy and CPS events/setup and breakdown for classes
- Order costumes and supplies, maintain and organize costume closet
- During performances, assist with stage management, student supervision, and audience comfort
- Collect and organize music digitally
- Meet with Director regularly; attend staff and administrative meetings as required
- Other duties as assigned
- Associate of Arts or Bachelor of Arts degree preferred
- Prior administrative/coordination experience
- Ability to read, write, and speak Spanish fluently
- Dance and creative arts background highly preferred; experience with CPS preferred
- Has a valid driver’s license and ability to travel via car to various school sites and performances
- Outstanding oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Strong computer skills, including proficiency in Word, Excel, and a Windows environment; ability to learn new software, including database software
- Excellent organizational and bookkeeping skills
- Proven initiative and problem-solving skills
- Ability to prioritize tasks, manage frequent interruptions, and meet deadlines
- Ability to work with all educational stake holders and school-aged children and teens and ability to relate and form positive relationships with students
- Commitment to creating a sense of community among members, faculty, and staff
- Demonstrated flexibility, good work ethic, and caring attitude
- Ability to responsibly escort group outings
- Generally Tuesday–Saturday, 10:00 a.m.–2:00 p.m. However schedule will be determined with Director around school events and Dance Academy rehearsals and performances.
- Some additional afternoon and evening availability may be required (planned in advance).
- Program aligns with the Chicago Public School academic schedule and requires a commitment when school is in session as well as the summer months when assisting with preparation and hosting of the Summer Dance Intensive session in July.
This is a seasonal, part-time position and does not qualify for medical or paid time-off benefits.
To apply, submit your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.