Grounded in Jesus’ command to love one another, Stephen Ministry provides care to members of Fourth Church and to members of the broader community. Through ongoing one-to-one relationships for as much as one hour per week, Stephen Ministers provide love and care to those who are experiencing challenging times.
Apply to be a Stephen Minister
Becoming a Stephen Minister
What Qualities Do I Need? | Who Is a Stephen Minister?
Fourth Church Stephen Ministers | About Stephen Ministry
What Should I Know about Becoming a Stephen Minister?
- You must be a member of Fourth Church.
- Those interested in becoming a Stephen Minister are encouraged to complete an application, which is available online or by contacting Carol Allerton (312.640.5448).
- You will be interviewed after an application is received.
- Those accepted into the program must complete fifty hours of training.
- Stephen Ministers must commit to two years of continuous service (in addition to the training period).
- After training is completed, ongoing supervision will be required in peer-led supervision groups twice per month.
What Qualities Do I Need to Become a Stephen Minister?
- Do you have gifts of mercy, encouragement, listening?
- Are you a person who feels compassion for others in their life challenges but wonders what you can do?
- Are you interested in people?
- Are you nonjudgmental?
- Are you patient?
Who Is a Stephen Minister?
A Stephen Minister is a member of Fourth Church who
- Supports, listens, accompanies, prays, and cares for those receiving care
- “Is there” for his or her care receiver, meeting faithfully for an hour a week, for as long as the need exists
- Has been carefully selected for his or her caregiving skills
- Has received fifty hours of training in providing emotional and spiritual care
- Participates twice a month in peer supervision and periodically in continuing education
Fourth Church Stephen Ministers
Stephen Ministers: Joy Anderson, Rebecca Binks, Martha Brown,
Connie Chang, Robert Crouch, Rebecca Dixon, Cary Donham, Sam Evans,
Cathy Flaa, Jon Galloway, Jean Joslyn, Dawn Kulich, Julie Montgomery,
Robert Montgomery, Colleen Mraz, Melanie Pierce, Mark Schimmelpfennig,
Stephen Ministry Leaders: Paula Addington, Cathy Flaa, Jeannine Forrest, Ellen Schaller, Carroll Smith, Barbara
Timberlake, Roger Wilson, and Judith Watt (staff support)
If you wish to learn more about becoming a Stephen Minister, please contact Judith Watt, Associate Pastor for Pastoral Care (312.573.3360; email@example.com).