UYM Summer Staff Application
Be a light in the city for young people
looking to make a difference in the city.
We’re glad you're interested in joining our Urban Youth Mission summer staff!
The following provides an overview of the UYM program and staff responsibilities. Then there is an application form for you to complete.
Applications are due by January 15, 2017.
Urban Youth Mission at Fourth Presbyterian Church hosts youth groups from around the country who are interested in experiencing urban mission and ministry in the third largest city in the United States. Groups explore a variety of neighborhoods in this diverse city, learn about the blessings and challenges of contemporary urban life, and engage in hands-on service. By partnering with local nonprofit organizations and social service providers, Fourth Church provides groups a week-long summer program of service learning opportunities addressing poverty, homelessness, hunger, violence, education, and pluralism.
Expectations of Summer Staff
• Implement the Urban Youth Mission program and work well in a team
• Participate attentively in group reflections and Bible studies
• Lead groups to and from volunteer sites using public transportation
• Learn partner service sites and their staff to coordinate groups’ work
• Be willing and able to do a lot of walking and lift up to 50 pounds
• Work with youth enthusiastically
Qualifications of Staff
• A flexible and energetic attitude
• An eagerness to learn and grow personally and spiritually
• A desire to serve
• Completion of at least one year of college
• Consent to a criminal background check
Schedule Overview for 2017
May 31: Arrive for Orientation Week (3:00 p.m.)
June 11: UYM Week 1
June 18: UYM Week 2
June 25: UYM Week 3
July 5–8: Junior High (half week)
July 9: UYM Week 4
July 16: UYM Week 5
July 23: UYM Week 6
July 30: UYM Week 7
August 5: UYM Staff ends their summer employment
Typical Weekly Staff Schedule
- Visiting youth groups arrive on Sunday evening and depart Friday mornings.
- Sunday Afternoon: Meet groups and help them get to the church if using public transit; prep for the coming week
- Sunday night: Lead orientation for UYM groups
- Monday–Thursday: Lead programs and work with groups at service sites
- Wednesday dinner: Participate in staff development programming
- Thursday evening: Participate in closing worship with group
- Friday morning: Group departs
- Friday afternoon and evening: Off
UYM is an intensive program; there will be limited opportunities for time off. Each staff person normally gets one morning off a week and Friday and Saturday afternoon and evenings. Additionally staff will have an extended holiday weekend on July 3–5. Otherwise staff will be present each week from first thing in the morning through the end of the evening program and meetings.
UYM interns will share a space within the church campus but separate from the visiting groups.
UYM interns may join groups for breakfast, packed lunches, and evening meals provided by UYM.
Summer staff will be paid $300 per week for 9.5 weeks
Staff will be provided public transit cards. Cars are not needed, but if you do bring a car it will cost $8 per day
to park in nearby garage.
Staff will be supervised by the Youth Mission Coordinator along with the Associate Pastor for Youth